

It was my Nana who taught me how to bake. She had lived through the depression and was an expert at economical cooking, bread and butter pudding, rice custard, tapioca, apple pies, jam tarts, scones, gingerbread... lots of goodies to fill hungry little tummies. Her speciality was Kiss Biscuits... shortbread biscuits sandwiched together with raspberry jam, vanilla icing and coconut on top, totally yummy. Her kitchen always smelt heavenly... if I close my eyes I can still just smell the aroma of cinammon and vanilla.
Yesterday my munchkins asked to bake Christmas biscuits, so I fished out the old recipe book and we made Nana's kiss biscuits. Apart from some help with measuring and mixing these are entirely the munchkins creations... they rolled dough, cut shapes and Bianca very expertly wielded a spatula and placed them on trays. They then decided that they wanted "Aussie kiss biscuitts"... hence the green and gold icing.
Mum asked me if Nana would be proud of the biscuits... I said that she would be proud of their effort. And she
would be... I talked to them about her while we were cooking, she has been gone almost seven years and I still miss her.
Tonight we had our Christmas gathering with Mark's family. Lots of yummy food, some wine, exchanged our presents...both Mark's parents and his brother managed to buy Jacob the same gift... a remote controlled truck, but in different colours. Jacob was stoked.... two trucks now he can have races! I talked to him and asked did he want to exchange one and I think he thought I was crazy LOL! So he is now the proud owner of two remote controlled vehicles. After dinner we played some board games with the kids and looked at a few Christmas lights on the way home. A lovely evening. I took the camera but the kids were taking photos... and they are definitely NOT blog worthy LOL... probably won't even make it off the camera card.
So I will just leave you with one final Christmas layout....
Credits: Scraps of the Season - Cheer available at design by dani.
Kraft Paper by Gina Cabrera
Font is Century Gothic
Three sleeps to go!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment