Thursday, December 14, 2006

Smoke gets in your eyes...

Fire to the East of us and fire to the South or us... thankfully two hours drive away in either direction.
Very very smoky here today, the smell of burning gum is everywhere and it stings your eyes if you go outside for long.

Here is the usual view from my backyard.... this was taken on 29th October when it was supposed to be spring!



And this morning at 8.00 am it looked like this... has since got worse :(


The wind has got up now and the temperature is soaring. Several towns down the East coast of Tassie were evacuated yesterday and it looks like there may be more today. Hoping and praying that there is no loss of life here or in Victoria.... I think its going to be a very long summer.

On a happier note... LAST DAY OF SCHOOL TODAY!!!! Can you tell I am excited? The boy munchkin came home with a glowing report last night, his teacher commented that he should be very proud of all that he has achieved this year - Mark and I certainly are. Jacob was a bit subdued at first... then I had a little chat and he commented " I didn't get any D's or E's" (His school grades from A to E) Why would you want D's or E's I ask... cause they are better than an A, B or C was the reply !!! I had a bit of a giggle... I suppose when you are six and a half if D and E come after A, B or C in the alphabet it is fair to assume that they are the higher grades. So we set him straight and he was happy.

So to finish here are some snaps of my boy on his first day and last day of prep...


Stay safe and have a great day...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, so awful... here in Southern California (USA) we have a "fire season", too. In past years, we've had some horribly devastating blazes... this year has been good, in that respect. So I do know what y'all are going thru... little prayers going out to all.