Tuesday, November 06, 2007

"The days are long but the years are short"

I can't remember where I found this quote, but it perfectly sums up how I feel today.

We have been uniform shopping for Miss B. Next year she will be in Prep, full time schooling from 8.50 am to 3.10 pm, five days a week. I have grave doubts that she will actually remain awake each afternoon, but that's another story. So going into Prep means going into the "formal" uniform. In Kinder we have the comfy sports uniform of polo shirt and shorts/track pants and sneakers. In Prep she will have to wear a box pleated skirt, white shirt, tie, woollen jumper and black lace up shoes. So we hit the uniform shop, they start at size four and that was swimming on her. Too long, too wide and just too big. Not much we can do about it, we purchased the braces for the skirt, folded the jumper cuffs back twice and will just hope for the best.

Miss B of course was very excited, came home and tried the new stuff on to show Dad and then wanted to play in it. I was just a bit teary eyed at how grown up she looked. This is the child who battles me constantly, who talks non stop all day, who is so much more demanding of my attention than her brother ever was. And there are hours and days when I will admit to just hanging out for bedtime, for some peace and quiet and time for me. There are days when I think gosh it would be easier to shop and run errands without a strong willed four year old... but oh gosh I will miss her next year. Some of the days may have seemed so long, but the years they have just flown by... and suddenly they seem so short.



3 comments:

Carol said...

Jodie, I see the little kidlets heading off to school and I swear they're getting younger and younger each year. Hmmmm or is it that I am getting older and older, LOL! I expect we shall see the first day of school pics, oh how I remember them being taken!

Anonymous said...

It's a big step, for both of you! Can't imagine how you must be feeling, but I do hope it all goes well. :)

Peta said...

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}