Friday, April 04, 2008

Stupid, wasted morning...

I had big plans for today... lots of housework and tidying, some sorting out of the kids wardrobes and then some time for some blog hopping,..they were interrupted by my irrational fears. Dropped the munchkins at school, stopped briefly at Big W to grab some boring essentials, tissues, school stockings etc. I arrive home at 9.30 am and all is well, one load of washing on the line, another in the machine. Scrub Bianca's spare lunch box (how do they get so dirty?), general tidying up, whip through the ironing. Make a coffee and decide to check my email before I tackle the heavy duty cleaning... vacuuming and scrubbing of bathrooms.

Sitting happily at my computer... and that was when I saw it, out of the corner of my eye... a small, grey... MOUSE... scurrying past the doorway. Now I know it's totally stupid, I know they can't hurt, they don't bite... but I am terrified of mice! Give me a big hairy spider able to be sucked up by the vacuum cleaner any day. The logical part of my brain knows how irrational this is. Heck I even know that this is classical Pavlov's conditioning, my mum is scared of mice... she has conditioned me to be scared on them as well.

But still there I sat on my computer chair, heart pounding, terrified of a small little rodent. My Mum is coming to visit for three days tonight, that is the only thing that stopped me fleeing the house until Mark returned from work! So eventually I got off the chair and played chasing's with a mouse for 20 mins... me with a broom, the mouse scurrying everywhere. I phoned Mark and asked him to come home, he refused. Tried unsuccessfully for half an hour to set a mouse trap (dang those things are tricky) and in the end gave up.

I was saved by my brother in law, who arrived with the paper, set the mouse trap, made me a coffee and eventually convinced me to venture back to the bedroom end of the house. I was brave enough to at least vacuum, I figured one small mouse was no match for a Dyson if he appeared.

So now the trap is set and all is quiet... did the furry invader run back outside? or is he just hiding out somewhere waiting to scare me all over again. Irrational I know, and a waste of a perfectly planned morning.

2 comments:

Peta said...

*squeak squeak*

hehe...

*runs away*

Carole said...

Hi Jodie, just having a sneak peek at your blog! I couldn't help but leave you this little hint I picked up the other day from somewhere on the web, though I'm yet to try it and know if it works. Apparently, if you feed mice/rats a packet of that instant deb type mashed potato, they gorge on it. Absolutely love it. Then they have a drink, it all swells in their tummy, and they *die*. Very frugal semi-friendly mouse killing idea! LOL
Thanks for the comment you left on my blog - it is very much appreciated and apologies for leaving everyone in the dark regarding Travis. We have thought about art school or pottery classes or something similar, but so far have been unable to find anything like that in this area... Thanks again, Carole