
We had done the formal poses.
We were just mucking around with the flowers.
"One last one" the photographer said.
And this is it, the last one.
Taken eighteen years ago, almost half my lifetime.
It made me smile the first moment I saw it.
It still does, but now it is a bittersweet smile.
For it really was the last one.
This is the last photo I have of Dad and I together.
I didn’t know when it was taken that he would be gone so soon.
That he would never see more than our first home.
That he would never see his grandchildren.
That he would never grow old.
So much of our lives were still to come, yet seven short months later he was gone.
The last photo.
It still makes me smile.
It still makes me miss him.
I have tried to scrap this photo all morning.
Tried and failed. I have added and removed papers and elements so many times I have lost count. And still it sits on my screen, unable to match the vision in my head.
He has been gone for eighteen years, and yet sometimes when I least expect it the unfairness of it all still makes me want to cry.
I want to tell the story of this photo. It just won't be told today.
6 comments:
Oh Jodie... I'm so sorry! I could have written this blog post myself. My dad has been gone for almost 10 years now, and I have many of the exact same feelings and thoughts as you. Big hugs to you...
{{{{{Jodie}}}}}} You know something kiddo. You've just told the story, amazingly, beautifully, poignantly and right from the heart. I often wonder if it ever gets any easier and can now see it doesn't. Thoughts are with you.
it's always the most important photos that are the hardest to scrap... *hugs*
I'll echo what Carol wrote. You've started the beginning of a wonderful tribute to your dad. He's so proud, I'm sure.
Wow, jodie, that is just heartbreaking, but the most powerful message. Beautifully written and Amazing. You really should put those words on paper and scrap them. Keep trying to scrap that photo, and I will be waiting to see what you have created.
What a beautiful and poignant photo. I'm so sorry about your dad.
Post a Comment