Friday, June 27, 2008

Not in the moment...

Living in the moment... I hear about it, read about it, all the time. I think it is a wonderful philosophy to live by. To just stop, slow down, savour the present and enjoy this time. Little kids have living in the moment down pat, just watch a toddler running in the park, their joy and excitement and see how they enjoy right now.

I have realised though, that I am not very good at living in the moment. I try, I really do. But somehow the reality of life and schedules just seem to get in the way. It feels like my life slips through my fingers in a blur of things that need to be done. Washing, ironing, beds to be made, lunches to be cut, books to be found, errands to be run. It feels like some days the only words I say are "hurry up","quick get dressed", "quick get in the car" or "we don't have time now". And as much as I like the philosophy it's hard to find joy when you are running late again and the kids are dragging their feet. I think part of the problem is that I need to be more organised. I need to stop leaving so much stuff to the last minute.

Bianca complained during the week, as I was hurrying her out of the pool after her swimming lesson. Hurrying so we could get home, to do homework, dinner, bath and bed. "I just don't like the way life goes sometimes" was her comment. I don't like the way life goes sometimes either. But the reality is that there are schedules, we do have to be at work at a certain time. School does start when the bell rings. There will always be stuff to be done. But I hate the feeling of my life slipping away and all the joy being missed.

So somehow I have to find that moment.

3 comments:

merideth said...

oh, sista, i'm right there with you. and you're right - organization is the key. but can somebody please tell me how to GET there??

your "life slipping away" comment reminded me of my oldest (now 21), who in 2nd grade was teary-eyed at the dinner table and told us, "i just feel like my life is passing me by."

if you do come up with the perfect answer, please post it. you'd be a hero(ine) to millions of women the world over. :)

Nicole said...

I totally understand. I feel like I spend more time saying hurry up than actually doing anything. And with potty training on the horizon I am going to be watching the clock more than ever. It's so hard to immerse yourself in the moment. I just wonder how my husband manages to let go of the timetable...

Unknown said...

Oh Jodie I so hear you.

Years ago I read a book on a plane. can't even remember its name but it was an airport purchase and full of wise words.. short phrases and reflection.

Something that really resonated for me was not making promises or offers. Sometimes I implement this and life is easier!! and then I slip and go back to offering. The idea is not to say - Oh I read this great book I will lend it to you because then you have to remember it. The idea is... if you DO think of it later.. you hand over the book and people are pleased.

I am also LOVING cooking a few meals and freezing. Usually it is the meat portion and I can make rice/steam veges at the last minute. Means I can NOT stand about staring at a carrot and wondering how to make it into dinner. I just nuke stuff. LOL SAVES a good 30 - 45mins and .. hardly any washing up!