Just to clarify about yesterdays post...
Bianca was born with a craniosynostosis ... basically a premature fusing of the gaps between the bones in the skull. Her head never grew wider from birth, only longer. She had surgery when she was 26 weeks old, using a new technique called "total vault reconstruction"... her entire skull was removed and reconstructed ( I still can't think about that too much) She was the 12th person ever to have surgery using this technique and so far the only one to have major complications... and she had almost everyone possible. All the things they warn you about when you are giving consent, all the things you hear, but are thinking "it will never happen to my child"... well apart from infection, they happened to her.
A month after her surgery we could hardly tell where the incision had been made. Apart from a delay in her speech development, which we are slowly correcting with lots of speech therapy, she has had no on going problems and we are hopeful that she will not need any more surgery.
It's been five years, and in some ways it feels like it was yesterday that I stood in that hospital room and in other ways it seems so long ago. I hardly think about it now, she looks perfectly normal, is happy and healthy.
We are very lucky. Lucky that surgery could fix the problem, lucky that she is here with us... and lucky to have the luxury of it being something that is now in the background. Spend any time in a children's hospital and you realise that lots of other parents aren't that lucky.
I do however, always pause on the 15th of July. I always take a photo of her. I am always thankful... and I tell her that it is always a day to be happy.
Thank you for all your kind words.
3 comments:
What a blessing that she is with you and doing well. ((hugs)) to you and Miss B.
No, Thank you.
OH, my! What a beautiful daughter you have and I understand now why you posted those words. Go and give her a big hug right now. Thank you for sharing such a personal thing.
Post a Comment