An innocent little question from the back of the car. Your words seemed to just float through the dark to me and I’ll admit my heart skipped a beat as I considered how to answer. You talk so much now that the memory of when you didn’t has faded. But the truth is, that you don’t always talk well, I just wasn’t ever sure if you realised that. And I wondered why this question today? Why now did you realise there was a problem? So we talked, we talked about your surgery and speech delay. And you talked about speech assessment with Mrs Baker and trying really hard to say the words “right”. But that some of them were wrong. And you talked about older kids at school not understanding when you told them your name. Your words came tumbling out and my heart ached for you. I wish there was a magic wand to fix this, oh how I wish for that. But there’s not, there is only time and lots of hard work. But you know what, you will be okay. You are a tough little thing, you have conquered bigger hurdles than this. This is just one more that we need to overcome, and together we will do it.
May 25th 2007
This week she sang at the local eisteddfod in the year 1-2 school choir. They sang sweetly and beautifully and all the assembled parents were very proud. The moment that brought tears to my eyes though was right at the very beginning. Their music teacher handed the microphone to my little girl. My little girl who had been diagnosed at age four with severe speech delay. My girl who at age seven confidently and very clearly announced to the auditorium the name of the choir and the two songs that they would sing. Those perfectly spoken words were the sweetest music I heard all day.
2 comments:
Oh go on with you Miss B. You are a star. And you Jodie, you must have had your heart bursting clear out of your chest.
Way to go Miss B... making your Mama so proud of you... and honey you need to know that sometimes Mamas cry lots when they are the happiest people alive...
Post a Comment