Friday, March 24, 2006

Stuffy heads, grumpy heads, sleepy heads and broken feelings.....

Not a great start to the day in our household! Fridays are always hard. It's the end of the week, everyone is tired and Bianca goes to daycare which means an extra stop before dropping Jacob off at school. So we really need to leave the house earlier. To do this we need everyone to wake up on time, eat breakfast, get dressed and generally be cooperative.

Well this morning none of the above happened. I woke up with a head cold, Jacob woke up with a grumpy head and Bianca didn't wake up at all. You know how some days nothing is right... Jacob had one of those days. Didn't like what Mark gave him for breakfast so refused to eat. Now I believe that if you are 5 years old and facing a full day at school you really need to eat breakfast. So there was some "discussion" about this, ending with Jacob in tears. He finally consumed some apple slices and milk... at least we covered two food groups!

So on we progress to teeth cleaning and getting dressed... normally it takes about five minutes for him to do this. Of course today, twenty minutes later he has managed to clean his teeth but is sitting on his bed wearing nothing but a pair of underpants. For a minute I seriously considered delivering him to school in his underwear! Bet he would get dressed quickly if I did that ha! I didn't, but only because it was 7 degrees here this morning... only kidding!
I snapped something about hurry up and get dressed NOW! Then he bursts into tears and tells me "You haven't just hurt my feelings by yelling, you have broken them". So now I have a crying child, with broken feelings in underwear, another child still sound asleep and we need to leave in five minutes!
What a wonderful way to start the day!

We did make it! I woke Bianca, thankfully she was in an agreeable mood, dressed her and made her Vegemite toast to eat in the car. She has not eaten breakfast in the house one morning this week, I just cannot get her to wake early enough! Dressed Jacob, explained that the rushing was not about hurting his feelings but about the time on the clock. Dropped Bianca at daycare, Jacob at school just as the bell was ringing, picked up some groceries and came straight home for coffee.
Thank heavens it is Friday. My day can only get better.

1 comment:

ksharonk said...

Sorry you had such a rough start to the day, but oh, you made me smile!!! :)
PS. Try getting out the door on time with teenagers ... ;)