Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Looking back and moving forward...


I can remember where I was three years and eleven months ago today, Mark 14th 2003. Mark and I were at the Royal Children's hospital in Melbourne waiting for Bianca to come out of anaesthetic after a CT scan of her skull. She was six weeks old and at that point it was the scariest day of my life... little did I know that worse was to come.

That day feels like it was yesterday to me.

Four years later we have a healthy and happy daughter. Apart from speech delay she has no developmental problems that can be picked up and for that I am eternally grateful.

And today, is her last day as a preschooler. Tomorrow my baby will officially be a school girl. She is very excited. The bag is already packed, the uniform ready and the lunch box in the fridge. I am proud of how far she has come and how much she has learnt to get ready for this day. I am pleased that she is so happy and excited about going to school.

But it is also a bittersweet moment for me... I will miss her so much. She is the youngest in the class, she scrapes into the cutoff age by three days and in some ways she is so ready and then in others she is not. I worry about her speech development... while we can always understand her, other people often cannot. But she is excited and its time to focus on that. For the first time in six and a half years I will have two whole days at home child free... as Sharon said to me earlier in the week , think of the layouts I can do :)

Be back with first day photos tomorrow.... wish me luck, I don't think Bianca is really going to need it.


5 comments:

ksharonk said...

Bianca ... you have a heap of fun today, won't you?
And Mum ... just relax and enjoy! It's MUCH harder on you than it will be on her. :)

Anonymous said...

Jodie... I so remember those days. Bittersweet indeed... but Sharon's right. It's MUCH harder on YOU than it is on her... Happy First Day of School, Bianca! :)

Penelope said...

Have a great day today Bianca!!!

Jodie, huge hugs...I'm thinking of you today!!!

Penelope said...

Hope it all went well today Bianca and Jodie!

Anonymous said...

Aww Jodie, was thinking about you all day today. Hope Bianca had a great time and has so much to tell you when you saw her in the afternoon... What a fun new adventure for you both.... I'm sure there is going to be lots of adjustments to be made for it all - and I do agree she looks so tiny and so little to be going to school just to me I can't imagine having all the maternal stuff mixed in too... ARGH you poor thing!!