Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sleeping in...

I slept in this morning. I didn't hear the alarm and I stirred when Miss B crawled into bed beside me. She was still sleepy eyed and drowsy and she snuggled next to me and drifted back to sleep. I looked at the clock, it was already an hour later than the time I had planned to be up. Then I looked at the child in my arms, asleep, peaceful. Just like when she was a baby. There is so little of my baby left now I thought. The dark haired, chubby cheeked infant I once held so tightly has become a long limbed child, with caramel coloured braids. The snowy white sleep suits have been replaced with pink spotted pj's. It only took five years, five oh so short years. I ran through the mental list in my head, all the stuff I needed to do today, then I looked at Miss B again. She still fits snugly into the crook of my arm, her hand still rests softly on my chest, just like when she was a baby. She is five and growing up fast, one day she won't want to crawl into bed with me. One day she won't need to. I abandoned the mental list in my head and closed my eyes. What I really needed to do today was to sleep in.

5 comments:

Penelope said...

You made me cry again!

And if that wasn't a 'straight from blog to layout' post I don't know what is!

Carol said...

Definitely did the right thing. We can't have too many "moments" cause they whiz by so quickly and you don't get those moments again.

Nicole said...

Ok not fair to make me cry at my desk. :) I had this same moment yesterday. My son was feeling a little sick and so was very snuggly and just wanted to be cuddled. Thank you for putting my feelings into words.

Peta said...

Aww I'm so glad you had such a sweet morning lie in. (HUGS)

Cheryl said...

Oh to be sure that is a straight from the blog to the page page!

Good on you for getting it down and for ignoring the to do list!