Thursday, July 24, 2008

Something right...


Credits HERE
My two munchkins, like most siblings, have a love/hate relationship. They can be best of friends or mortal enemies all within ten minutes. Sometimes this gets me down, sometimes I wonder if somehow I went wrong. And then sometimes they just warm my heart...
Last night, when I was tired and trying to juggle cooking dinner with a dozen other things, I offered Jacob an extra three dollars in his pocket money if he would fold the washing for me. I didn't really expect him to take the deal because it was three huge baskets of washing, but he is saving for a new gameboy game so he jumped at it. He started and half way through the first basket Bianca appeared and offered to help. Together they folded, surprising well I must say, the entire three baskets and then even put the folded clothes away. At that point I was so grateful that I would have happily paid them both double the agreed three dollars lol!
The job was done and Jacob lined up for his coins. "Do you think you should get the full $3, because Bianca did help you?" I ask. He doesn't hesitate to suggest that she should get half. "How about $2 each?" I say. Jacob took his coins and happily headed for his money box. Bianca... she dissolved to tears and crawled under the art table. "What now?" I was thinking as I knelt down on the floor and tried and have a conversation with her. Between the sobs I manage to figure out that she felt sad "because she made Jacob miss out on a dollar". I hauled her out and tried to explain that it was okay, it was a good thing to help. "But Jacob will be cross" was the reply.
So hand in hand we went to find Jacob. Together we explained. I asked him if he was cross. "Of course not" he answered. Then he swept her into his arms "Help from a sister was better" he said. "Anyway, family is always more important than money", and off they went to play. Like best friends.
That is the sort of moment that makes me think, some of the time at least... I must be doing something right.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Jodie, your kids are absolutely precious!! You are a great mom.

Penelope said...

That's it. I'm not reading your blog till AFTER I give birth. Your kids plus my pregnancy hormones make me wish I bought shares in Kleenex.

Anonymous said...

you sure are doing something right - this brought tears to my eyes!

Awake said...

Yep, you absolutely are.

Love the bunny ears. :)

Carol said...

OMG Jodie, your heart must be so full it's bursting through your chest, that is just the sweetest moment in time ever. You are one great mamma because you must be to make great kids like that.

merideth said...

oh, this just warms my heart! such sensitive, caring kids!

Peta said...

damit girl!!! - can you give them a hug and a kiss for me hehe. They are just WAY to cute!!

You deffinately have done something right ;)