Thursday, October 30, 2008

Lower the presser foot...


Credits HERE

I learnt to sew on an old Singer Machine. Well it would be considered old now, I am sure back then it was considered state of the art. My Mum was a wizz at that machine, she would whip us up new dresses, tops, skirts, bathers and pj's in a flash. Not to mention the dolls clothes and bedding that would appear every Christmas. If I close my eyes I can still see her sitting at the machine, still hear the whirr of the motor. My sister and I would sit at the kitchen table with her, we would make patterns with pins in the pin cushion, cut scraps into tiny squares and sort through the button box for hours. I can't remember when I was first allowed to use the machine, but I can remember spending hours sewing lines of fancy stitches on material.

Miss B, loves to sit at the kitchen table with me. She makes patterns with pins, sorts the scraps, sings and offers suggestions. She likes to sit on my knee and guide the fabric as I sew (only possible on long straight easy seams) and for weeks has begged to have a "a turn on my own". So finally, with some trepidation, I placed my machine... my very new Brother machine... on her little craft table and said she could have a go. Some instructions from me, a few practice runs and she was off. Her first project was a bag ( I don't have a photo of the finished product yet). A very mismatched, but not as crooked as I was expecting tote bag, that has gone to school for show and tell today. She is already eyeing off my fabric stash for her next project... this morning her brother asked me "can boys learn to sew as well?" "Sure thing" was my reply... guess I need to find some fabric that's not pink!

1 comment:

Carol said...

I know how proud you must have been Jodie, because when my Miss B for Brittany asked me to teach her to knit, she sat there with tongue hanging out in concentration trying to get it right and was so proud of herself when she'd done a few cms, holes and all, LOL. Was a very proud moment for me.

Looks like you have a child protegy there!