Monday, December 08, 2008

For Roseanne...

Where did the pattern for the red and blue skirt came from?

I haven't ever used a skirt pattern for Miss B. The skirt is based on Angela's twirly skirt tutorial, I was aiming for more of can can look, inspired by this skirt from Oobi... not that it really ended up looking much like it.

So basically I followed Angela's tutorial, except that I like to make tiered skirts from the bottom up, so I gathered the bottom tier first and stitched it to the one above, then gathered that tier and so on. The tiers are about 7 cms in length and there are eight tiers in total. The first tier is 80 cm wide, and then I added about 25% in width to each tier, so the second tier is 100cm, the third tier is 125cm and so on... all the way down to number 8 which was around SIX metres in length. Note: These measurements fit a skinny almost six year old.

I stitched ribbon, lace or ric rac onto the tiers before gathering them. If I didn't have enough length to reach the entire width of the tier, I simply tucked under the end stitched it down and then chose another trim. I was planning to sew some buttons or small bows where the two trims met, while I was sewing I didn't really like the look of the trims butting up to each other, but when it was finished and on I decided it didn't really need it. I didn't find this particularly hard to sew, but it is quite time consuming, there was a lot of trim to stitch on and a lot of gathering... but I have to say now that it is finished I love it! As does Miss B... but in her case, that could be just about the accessories ;)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - a post just for me!! thanks heaps for taking the time for all those instructions. I will endeavour to make one for my little 2 yr old, hope it turns out half as good as yours...thanks again.

Carol said...

Oh good Lord, just look at the sunnies, talk about a fashionista!! She looks so cute.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how cute. My girls would love that skirt. I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine...I should try it out.