Yesterday. To me it felt like a pretty ordinary day. Miss B and I both slept in a little, which was nice. Heaps of washing from the weekend at the Lake, which was not so nice. Jacob arrived home around eleven. There were lots of cuddles all around. He had picked some special rocks to bring home for Bianca. We swept out the cubby house and rehung the posters. The autumn sunshine was warm, but not too warm. I made sandwiches and milkshakes for lunch. The kids ate in the cubby and I ate on the veranda.
I managed to wrangle them without too much protesting into some clean clothes and we headed out. Bianca had a list, ordinary, miscellaneous stuff... fuel, hair gel, a new gingerbread man cutter, football boots for Jacob, fruit, bread, milk. Got the football boots and new winter shoes for both kids. They would like to wear crocs all winter, I was thinking of cold and wet toes. Some afternoon tea, some pocket money spent at Diva and on some new animals. We all decided on home made pizza for dinner and did a quick trip around the supermarket.
Just a simple, ordinary day. We were walking back to the car, just chatting when Jacob slipped his arms around me. "I just loved today Mum" he said and squeezed me tight.
And I realized that I had loved the simple stuff as well, the ordinary, the chatting and the hanging out. I try to find balance in my life, in my kids lives, but I will be the first to admit that I often find it hard. Too much rushing, too many commitments, too much pressure to fill the days with stuff to do and places to go. There is the often asked question of "what are you doing for school break?"... somehow "nothing" doesn't always feel like the right answer.
Yesterday, we really did nothing much ... and nothing much was lovely. Nothing much was a day that my children loved. That I loved. It just took an eight year old to remind me.
2 comments:
Nothing days ARE the best days...it's just hard to remember that when you are smack in the middle of living. Glad you had a good day!
You have so got it going on Jodie. Wow, what a great comment from a great kid with a great mum.
Post a Comment